Who We Were, What We Did: Fresh Perspectives on Grand Traverse History — Richard Fidler
• A hundred years ago, who were the poor in Grand Traverse County and how were they taken care of?
• How did Traverse City deal with dissent during times of intense patriotism?
• What of crime and justice in the nineteenth century—who was being arrested locally and for what offenses?
• How did human interventions change Grand Traverse Bay since white settlement?
Who We Were, What We Did answers these and other questions in short, lively discussions of social, political, environmental, and moral issues. As in his earlier work, Glimpses of Grand Traverse Past, Richard Fidler reveals the colorful tapestry of our past, narrowing his focus to areas seldom explored by other writers. This is a book for all who love this beautiful region of Michigan and wish to learn more about it.
Praises for Who We Were, What We Did:
“A completely fresh and fascinating look at the history of the Grand Traverse area. Believe me, you’ve never read history like this. When you’re done — and the writing is engaging and graceful — you have seen the past and understood the future with new eyes.” — Doug Stanton, author of In Harm’s Way and Horse Soldiers
“Explores early twentieth century values, assumptions, and beliefs on seldom-addressed topics. Appropriate for all audiences. Informative and thought-provoking.” — Barbara Speas Havira, Ph.D, History Department, Western Michigan University
“Captures a side of Traverse City history that enlightens and lls the reader with a desire to know more about our unique area.” — Jim Press, History Department, Northwestern Michigan College
“A great follow-up to his Glimpses of Grand Traverse Past, Richard Fidler’s latest book, Who We Were, What We Did, is thoroughly interesting, easy-to-read and thought-provoking, often revealing the local underbelly and social attitudes of our area’s past. — Loraine Anderson, Traverse City Record-Eagle writer and columnist
- Paperback: 148 pages
- Publisher: Mission Point Press (August 24, 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1943995427
- ISBN-13: 978-1943995424
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.3 x 8.5 inches