Michiganians You Should Know: (Plus Some You Do and Don't Know Why) - Michael J. Thorp
Please note: This site is for ordering by bookstores only. Individual consumer orders will be rejected. Individuals can find this book at local bookstores or at Amazon.com.
Michiganians have some amazing stories, and veteran broadcaster and author Michael J. Thorp is just the guy to tell them. Have you heard about the Michigan priest who worked at a prison guarding the Jessie James Gang? How about the Michigan natives who invented the electric stove and the rear-view mirror?
There are stories about:
• the brothers who first called soda, “pop”
• the man who almost drained one of Michigan’s most beautiful lakes
• the mapmaker who made up names to fill his maps of Michigan
• the Mackinac Island resident who discovered the famous Oregon Trail to the West, while heading East
• the Michigan baseball star famous for losing his job
• the Academy Award winning actress who hired a personal trainer to keep herself at the steady weight of 200 pounds.
• the voice of Shaggy
You will be astonished to learn what these Michiganians accomplished, even if you never heard of them before, and maybe even if you have!